Jaguar XJS Owners & Enthusiasts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1991 XJS 4.0l - Jack

2 posters

Go down

1991 XJS 4.0l - Jack Empty 1991 XJS 4.0l - Jack

Post  Admin Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 am

I am the proud owner of Jack, a 1991 Facelift XJS in Signal red with a black leather interior (hmmm)
I have always loved the XJS and so proud and happy to finally own one, this one with a 4.0l engine, which is probably my favourite of the engines (good mix of economy, performance and suitably priced insurance for someone of my age lol!)

I bought him as a project in June 2010 to replace my just complete XJ40, that I had saved from scrapping, and whom I also loved dearly, but sadly I cannot afford to keep two cars *sobs*

Well, I have a blog that can be found here:
www.projectjaguar.wordpress.com and my website is www.projectjaguar.co.uk
And that will give you much more insight about myself and my XJS, Jack.

However, as some have probably been wondering where I have been, I thought I would add a quick update here.

Headgaskets, waterpumps and oil leaks!

Well I havent been on here for a while at all, and Im sorry if it has just seemed like I have been on here asking about problems and not actually contributing. Im terrible at remembering to visit forums, and I have been super busy on my own XJS, so hopefully now a huge amount of work has been done I can get back to visiting forums and getting back in touch with my family and friends haha!!

I disappeared originally when my engines oil leak got worse and worse. At first I hoped it was the rocker cover gasket, but sadly despite replacing that, the oil leak kept going.
Thats when I decided to take the plunge and do a headgasket job! Once I had removed the head I sent it for skim and full rebuild. I was not surprised as it appears that the person who owned the poor XJS before obviously didnt realise you are meant to put antifreeze in with the water, and I could see by the state of the headgasket that thats why it went, and there is corrosion on the head too due to no antifreeze (be warned people, dont scrimp and save now cos it wont pay off!!).
It all kinda took a while cos I dont have a garage, so I am working out on the drive and battling the elements, hence why it took so long!
Anyway, head came back and was replaced, and all seemed hunky dorey! I ran the engine and voila, it was perfect! But then looking out for more oil leaks I noticed something worse - a coolant leak!
It turned out to be the waterpump, so this was something else that was ordered and replaced. Then, as luck would have it, the oil leak re-appeared - this time from the oil return hose! So the o-ring was replace, and then guess what? The other hose failed as well! So another o-ring was replaced!!!

4 times the beasty broke and not once did it come off the axle stands haha!!! But eventually I managed to be able to get him off of the axle stands Sunday afternoon after a session undersealing.

anyway, some body work was completed, including new front lower wings (both sides) and lips, new panel welded into the rear passenger side wing and some de-chroming of the headlight bezels and upper grill. The new body kit has now been fitted and is awaiting a visit to the body shop Wednesday evening!

Think thats it, but please do take a look at my blog for more intricate details of what I have been up to: http://projectjaguar.wordpress.com

When I find my camera I hope to take some photos, but until after christmas I can only take "teaser" shots im afraid Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

1991 XJS 4.0l - Jack Empty Re: 1991 XJS 4.0l - Jack

Post  db.08 Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:36 am

Wow, sounds like you've been busy busy....
And a Jaguar with oil leaks??? I've never seen that before Shocked Haha!!
It will be all worthwhile though and from the pics I've seen before Jack is looking great (fantastic colour, I must say)
You are fortunate to be handy though, I'm pretty much useless fixing things. I know what the problems are, but just not good when it comes to personally doing anything about them.
I'll be interested to see the photos when it returns from the body shop.
Thanks for sharing.
Dave

db.08
db.08

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:25 pm

haha, yes i thought you would agree with the colour lol!!

and yes, oil leaks in a Jaguar? Never! Razz

Well keep your eyes peeled here and hopefully when Jacks back from the body shop I can get some photos in! Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 am

Hes out of the body shop and looking GREAT!!! Photos to come ... Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  db.08 Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:55 am

Admin wrote:Hes out of the body shop and looking GREAT!!! Photos to come ... Very Happy

We are waiting with eager anticipation.......... Smile
db.08
db.08

Back to top Go down

Post  db.08 Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:00 am

And our cars look the same but they are different reds apparently.
Yours is Signal Red, mine's Sebring Red.
Red's red I guess....
Personally I prefer the darker colour interior you have in yours too. It's a nice combination.
db.08
db.08

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:03 am

Oh thats odd , I just assumed yours was Signal! Funny how close they look!
Its a bit like the Flamenco, Regency (dark mica metallic reds)

I wonder, is yours metallic?

The dark combination is lovely isnt it? Its one of the reasons I went for it, its apparently very rare for a red car to have a black interior, which to be honest I think it is, I have only ever seen red cars with Magnolia (like my old one) or Biscuit etc, but never black, nor the grey either actually ... Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  db.08 Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:10 am

Admin wrote:
I wonder, is yours metallic?

No, solid red. One thing I would like to do is change the interior at some point.
I actually really love the Jaguar red leather interiors but it would be too much red on a red car, so thinking the black or warm charcoal colour.
db.08
db.08

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:45 am

Warm charcoal sounds lovely too. I also love the red interiors and if I had an all black or all white XJS thats what I would want! But on a read car, it would be like a red overload, and getting the same match would be nigh on impossible so it would probably end up looking tacky! At least you can dye your seats as they are a lighter colour! Thats always an idea if they are in good nick?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum