Jaguar XJS Owners & Enthusiasts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HID Conversion kits (Headlights!)

2 posters

Go down

HID Conversion kits (Headlights!) Empty HID Conversion kits (Headlights!)

Post  Admin Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:37 am

Has anyone used one of these kits?

I was thinking of putting them in because I think that the headlights are so LAME! I can hardly see anything when the sun goes down!

If anyone has fitted them, then please share pics/videos/advice. I want something bright white with blue hint, and I believe there is a spectrum for these lights so I have to pick a kit with the correct colour. I want a good blue hint but not like totally blue as I also read somewhere that once you go more yellow or more blue you start loosing brightness, and obviously the main reason for this conversion is to increase the brightness of the headlights! Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

HID Conversion kits (Headlights!) Empty Re: HID Conversion kits (Headlights!)

Post  Dannyplum Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:46 am

Hi EJ,
I haven`t personally used the full HID kits on my cars yet, but we used to fit quite a few kits to some of the classic Porsche`s that came in as their lights were (better than the XJS) just as dim. I`m guessing you`re looking at the full kits with transformers and everything?

You`re right in saying about the spectrum, rule is the higher the number, the blue-er it is, but also the less effective the bulb is. The standard range are around 4000-6000k, although they go up to 12000k. 6000k noticeably blue, (like a dentists chair light), however my personal preference was 5000k, white with a very slight blue. I`ve only fitted the 5000k Xenon bulbs to the XJS, and it has made a difference although not tested in the real world as it`s still the garage!
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:13 am

i have since gone off this idea.
The new rules for the mot next year state that cars with hids must also be fitted with self levelling and headlamp washers!
altho "sports" cars with stiff suspension may not be susceptible to the self levelling bit, but washers are a must!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyplum Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 am

Fair enough, we used to rip apart the Porsche 996 kits and retro fit them to the older ones. There was a sensor on the rear trailing arm that sensed the load,lift and dive.

Never looked into it as mine already has the washers fitted, wouldn`t be too much to retro fit a washer pump setup would it? Think I`ll just stick to the bulbs for the meantime though, there`s an absolute tonne of them on eBay and still give that nice ice blue tint.
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am

i thought about a conversion using the XJ8 washer jets, theyre fancy, but blimey, getting a set is like trying to find golddust!
i never thought about it before, but like you said, there are so many bright bulbs out there, i never got around to looking at the HIDs in the end!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyplum Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Well the XJS is driving now (although not road worthy just yet), so I was going to get her out at night and see how bright they were. Might just put the old bulbs back in as a comparison. Will let you know how it goes...
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 am

well apparently halfords super duper bright bulbs are buy one get one free if you go that route Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down