Jaguar XJS Owners & Enthusiasts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-colouring Seats and interior 1

2 posters

Go down

Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Empty Re-colouring Seats and interior 1

Post  XJS Cab022 Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:00 am

You can get all you need from www.furnitureclinic.co.uk .A kit will be colour matched from the code or swatch you provide to them. Its a lot cheaper to revamp your cars interior than to re-trim it. The leather Dye is cheap so buy plenty ,makes for better coverage when spraying without worrying about running out mid job.Instructions are included in the kit, I borrowed a small airbrush & compressor from a mate who does set design. You don't want to do a whole interior with cans of air. You'll also need a heat gun ,two large dust sheets cotton ( these will hold over spay better than plastic) and a room, I did all my work in my home office? spare-room.

Get a good donor seat.
Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Dsc02513

Use leather prep as instructed to ready leather for dye. The best prep leads to a better end job, I disassembled seat to reach into everywhere. I would strongly suggest this when doing change of colour. Deep cracks will self heal during this prep work.
Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Dsc02514

Work dye into seams and creases with sponge, I had to concentrate on piping which was originally dark blue.
Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Dsc02515

Spray with airbrush the rest of seat and components, (back panel upper left of pic, all others that can be removed from seat )working in thin layers and making sure each coat is fully dry and dust free before the next. ( Use heat gun very carefully here, its just to assist drying of dye and top coats )This is seat before top coats are applied.

Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Dsc02516
DAY Light...once you think there's enough dye on on the job try to check all over piece in day light, you can have a naked bulb in a lamp to check coverage. then you can start on top coats (follow written instructions here carefully )Many thin layers here built up slowly , you can chose different levels of gloss too, I went for satin gloss.
Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Dsc02517
XJS Cab022
XJS Cab022

Back to top Go down

Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Empty Re: Re-colouring Seats and interior 1

Post  Admin Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:35 am

Goodness, that actually looks like new! You did a good job there! Were you not happy with the original colour?
I had Magnolia in my XJ40, and I love it, but its high maintenance! I am quite happy to have black interior on my XJS, plus its rare for a red car which is also fun!! I do need to look at the seats once the rest of the interior is together and esepcially the wear on my drivers seat!! Some dye is needed me thinks!! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re-colouring Seats and interior 1 Empty Happy with colour

Post  XJS Cab022 Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:02 pm

The car came with Savile grey interior, so had to make replacement seats match.
XJS Cab022
XJS Cab022

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Oh I see! Well they really do look very good!! Well done!
The Saville grey is a nice colour, and not at all common, I have only seen a handful of cars with that interior and always looks very suave!
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down