Jaguar XJS Owners & Enthusiasts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idle Issues and Stalling

3 posters

Go down

Idle Issues and Stalling Empty Idle Issues and Stalling

Post  Dannyplum Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:43 am

Hi Guys,
Went out for the first drive in the XJS yesterday, excited wasn`t the word! First 5/10 minutes was faultless, absolutely brilliant, but then the engine started stuttering. It idled roughly, stalled, restarted straight away and as soon as you touched the accelerator, stalled again.

First thought is fuel, I know it`s got around 10/15 litres in the tank, so I`m thinking maybe fuel pressure regulators, maybe pump itself, air temp sensor or coolant temp sensor?

Have any of you guys had problems like this or heard of any?
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

Back to top Go down

Idle Issues and Stalling Empty Re: Idle Issues and Stalling

Post  Admin Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:11 am

mine had an issue similar sounding
occasionally he would idle really badly, for no apparent reason, which was one day super dangerous as i went to pull away when he did it, i cut out right in front of a 4x4 coming at me!! it turned out to be the coolant/thermistor plug, it was dodgy and moved easily.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.projectjaguar.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyplum Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:47 am

I had it running this morning, and annoyingly it ran perfectly so I couldn`t trouble shoot anything! My sensor was wiggling around so that`s been cleaned, re-sprung, and fits snug, checked all the vacuum hoses, seem ok. Only thing I did notice apart from the coolant sensor was the vacuum from the distributor filter is next to non existent.
I don`t believe my vacuum gauge is sensitive enough to test this, but will be looking into it a bit further.

Have you managed to get yours totally fixed then with the coolant sensor?
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyplum Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 am

I`m afraid this post won`t be much a technical help to anyone, apart from me saying the following...

If you have suspected electrical issues on your car, don`t rule out the possibility of a rogue mouse in there somewhere... He/she has eaten through quite a lot of wiring (in the Vee of the engine), my glovebox, and the rear quarter panel headlining... They`ve got around quite a bit in that car...

New wiring loom made up, replacement glovebox covered and fitted, and STILL doing the headlining with the sunroof... Should be done sometime in the next week...

Oh and the mouse has been found, eating half my car took it`s toll on the little fella, RIP JagMouse...
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

Back to top Go down

Post  Facelift Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:56 am

Well done finding the fault Dannyplum and thanks for feeding back to us on the outcome.
Hope the headlining goes ok.

Facelift

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down