Oil and Fuel Pressure Gauge

Go down

Oil and Fuel Pressure Gauge

Post  Dannyplum on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 am

Hi guys, first actual post on here, I`m rebuilding my 1988 HE V12 and all going well apart from one thing I can`t get my head around...

Is there a common link between the oil pressure and fuel level circuits?
On my dash, the fuel level and oil pressure are both showing non existent, no movement, ever.

Firstly Oil circuit...
I`ve tested the dash off the car, all ok
Tested grounds and wire continuity, all ok
Replaced sender as a matter of course and still not working
Checked the circuit board and SEEMS ok

Fuel Circuit...
Grounding the sender sends the needle to the top of the dash as expected, but when connected, nothing, so I presume dodgy sender, but before I replace it, wondering if there are any common links between the two?

I presume there is alot of over thought on my side, so any fresh views would be much appreciated!
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oil and Fuel Pressure Gauge

Post  db.08 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:59 am

I'm not the one to ask as there will be others on here with lots of knowledge about this, but I do know that I get quite wildly varying readings on my fuel & oil pressure gauges, that obviously aren't right. scratch
db.08
db.08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyplum on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:11 am

I have heard that when the gauges operate all over the place, this is considered normal operation for the Jags. I have tested it with a capillary gauge and the main thing is I know I have 50psi oil pressure at idle, and at least 10 litres of fuel, so I can cross them off the "Why have I broken down?" list... I`ve ordered the new fuel sender anyway so hopefully that`s one problem to tick off the list...
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  db.08 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:05 am

Dannyplum wrote:I have heard that when the gauges operate all over the place, this is considered normal operation for the Jags.

Smile Smile Smile
db.08
db.08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dannyplum on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:01 am

Just for any others out there wondering, there is no link between the two circuits apart from the shared live and common earth, but if this goes then you will lose all the gauges on the cluster not just these two.

As I haven`t done any night driving and not noticed, I tested the main cluster lights, and some weren't working. Replaced the bulbs etc, but turns out the copper ribbon that folds in to the bulb aperture had worn out breaking the circuit. Decided to check the whole circuit and there were some TINY hair line cracks in the fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge lines. Repaired, and sorted.

On the oil pressure gauge itself there are some tiny "get your magnifying glasses out" wires, one which had come loose, so again, repaired and sorted.

We have fuel and oil pressure!
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down