Factory Prototype

Go down

Factory Prototype

Post  db.08 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:56 am

I have some news that I would like to tell someone about and who better than my Jaguar friends on the XJS Forum Very Happy
I have just bought the original Series ll Daimler Vanden Plas Double Six from 1973, chassis # 1, body # 1.
I have been told that it was originally delivered from the U.K. to Hong Kong and later came to Australia, but at this point this is only hearsay so I'll have to do some research to see what I can find out.
I do know that it was living in Canberra for many years, however, I bought it from Queensland.
It needs some TLC but it has its original engine (top-end noise) and gearbox and is all complete and driveable and is currently licensed on club (discount) rego in Queensland.
I know there are several Jaguar experts who read this forum so any help or information regarding tracking down its history would be very much appreciated.
Dave

db.08
db.08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Factory Prototype

Post  Dannyplum on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:50 pm

#1, that's an amazing find! How did you manage to find that? And actually looks like its in good condition too, I`m guessing it`s been dry stored or something similar. Are you planning a restoration on it then?

As for searching the service history I know little about it apart from painfully ringing up any existing leads, but I was watching a program the other day and a company called Martin Robey in the UK here (quite famous for the Jensens and Jags etc) actually had alot of the original provenance records for the cars as they rolled off the line. Might be a dead end or a no go, but thinking out loud, might be worth something?
Dannyplum
Dannyplum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  db.08 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:01 am

I found it, would you believe, on Ebay!
A Jaguar enthusiast with quite a collection who is selling most of his cars due to ill health. He's been active in Jaguar circles for years and has some nice cars.
I do plan to fully restore it over time, no rush though as I have a couple of others to do as well.
It's amazing how many of the early build & prototype Jaguars ended up in Australia, from all models, but I guess it's a good thing because the climate has helped to preserve them.
Thanks for the tip about the UK company - I'll chase that up and see if they know anything about this one. I've seen their name in Jaguar magazines.
Dave
db.08
db.08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bjorn V on Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:48 am

Wow, amazing find.
One thing to do could perhaps be to contact Jaguar Heritage.
As I understand it they have access to a lot of the original manufaturing records.
Bjorn V
Bjorn V

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down